Here are just a few of the many student success tips she shares during our chat:
- Be an opportunity sponge – take advantage of a variety of opportunities while you’re in college.
- Go after what you want.
- Express yourself (communicate) in a way where you don’t offend others while skillfully asking for what you want.
- You’ll make lots of mistakes, what matters is how you handle them.
- Collaborate with others and give credit where credit is due.
- Maximize your time on campus.
- Take control of your entire experience.
- Visit Career Services and use ALL of their resources.
- Build at least two (2) relationships along your career path with connectors (individuals who are well connected) before you exit college.
- Try something new – explore, challenge your self to stretch outside of what’s comfortable.
- Learn how to ask for help early on; if that proves to be a challenge for you, ask yourself: What happens when I don’t ask for help?
In her new book, The College Strategy: How Ambitious Students Create Workplace Value While on Campus, Linnita exposes untapped campus resources and teaches productive and current college students how to connect campus involvement to workplace skill development.
Linnita’s Favorite Quote:
It is not your environment, it is you – the quality of your mind, the integrity of your soul and the determination of your will that will decide your future and shape your life. – Benjamin E. Mays
Linnita and I plan to connect again in future episodes to address some of the challenges college students and their families face on a daily basis . . . stay tuned!
Would you or do you know a student, parent or college professional who would be interested in being a guest on the show? Tell them about the show have them submit an idea here.
Do you like the topics covered so far on the show? Subscribe and leave a show review on iTunes. The more reviews we receive, the more we can expand our audience of student and family listeners.
My goal is to help you play the college game smarter so you can spend less time, energy, effort and money. College can be complicated. Students get stuck. Know there are always alternatives to the typical way of making college work for you.
You always have a choice; choose consciously!
p.s. Join The Robbi Crawford Show Community on Facebook – post comments about the show, questions, topic ideas, etc. It’s a place to discuss all things students and college!